We are the UK’s leading charity for Crohn’s and Colitis. We’re working to help everyone affected and find a cure. Crohn’s and Colitis are two forms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). They are lifelong diseases of the gut which are painful, debilitating and widely misunderstood. When a person has Crohn’s or Colitis, their immune system doesn’t work properly and the body starts attacking itself, causing ulcers and inflammation in the gut. This is known as a ‘flare’. During a flare, patients can experience painful and debilitating symptoms, which require urgent medical attention such as rectal bleeding, bowel incontinence and profound fatigue. Imagine having a wound that never heals – only it’s on the inside. Every time they eat or drink, it’s like rubbing salt into that wound. Crohn’s and Colitis don’t just affect the gut. The consequences can be devastating, as the gut is involved in almost every part of the body’s ability to function from digestion to mental health to energy levels. People with the condition face a lifetime of medication and, in many cases, major surgery. If left untreated, it can be fatal. Unlike many other diseases, there is a huge stigma attached leading many people to feel too ashamed or embarrassed to talk about it. This means that not only are they struggling with the devastating effects of Crohn’s or Colitis – they’re doing so alone.
How are we supporting the 300,000 people in the UK with either condition?
Founded as a patients’ association in 1979, we now have 40,000 members across the UK. These aren’t just people who have Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) – our members also include their families and friends, health professionals and others who support our work. They’ve helped us set up 50 Local Networks across the nation.
We work to make life better for the 300,000 people in the UK with Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis and other forms of IBD.
- We provide high quality information, practical help and personal care that enables people to manage their conditions. We believe people living with Crohn’s and Colitis should be able to live their lives to the fullest.
- We work with the UK health sector to improve diagnosis, treatment and management of IBD. We want everyone with the conditions to have access to the best specialist services.
- We support life-changing research to increase knowledge of the causes and the best treatments for Crohn’s and Colitis. We want to improve lives now and lead the mission to find a cure.
- We campaign vigorously – for more knowledge, better services and more support for our ongoing fight against IBD.
- And we’re doing it in line with our values of being compassionate, ambitious, and stronger together.
For more information visit https://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/